Wed, March 10th, 2010 - By
For anyone due to travel abroad, here are some practical tips on staying safe and avoiding problem situations.
While you are away check-list
- Think about what you are doing at all times and trust your instincts – don’t take risks that you wouldn’t at home!
- Don’t openly display valuables such as mobile phones or digital cameras and consider using a padlock on suitcases or backpacks.
- When you’re out for the day carry only as much money as you need for the day and don’t take all your cards with you, only take what you’ll need and leave the rest in the hotel safe or safety deposit boxes.
Where possible keep valuable items and documents in a safe deposit box
- Find out about local customs and dress, behave accordingly and obey local laws -there may be serious penalties for breaking a law that might seem trivial at home.
- Be careful when taking photographs, videos or using binoculars. Such activities may be misunderstood, especially near military installations or even airports!
- Consider taking your mobile with you or renting one whilst you’re away, check with your service provider to make sure your phone works abroad. Store useful numbers such as the local police, the nearest embassy or consulate and your hotel or apartment complex.
- Check whether it’s safe to drink local tap water- if not, stick to bottled water and avoid salads, non-peeling fruit and ice in drink.
Posted : Wednesday, March 10th, 2010 at 10:49
- Use your judgement when buying and eating food you’ve not prepared yourself.
Category : How To...
Subscribe : RSS 2.0