Why not take a different approach to New Year’s resolutions? Start by binning the list of obvious dos and dont’s. Then decide on a couple of travel-related goals and vow to use your holidays in 2011 to see them through. After all, holidays are perfect for doing the things you’ve always dreamt of; like trekking to the top of a mountain to watch the sun rise, taking a hot-air balloon flight or trying a beginners’ class in scuba diving, kite surfing or golf.
Don’t get me wrong. This isn’t about making grandiose plans and spending astronomical sums of money. It’s about earmarking a few hours of your beach break to keep a resolution, and then basking in the sense of achievement by the pool.
Here are just three resolutions that could be incorporated into your 2011 holiday plans.
If you’ve always wanted to stand at the summit of a mighty mountain, why not consider holidaying in Tenerife, Italy or Egypt. Some of the most famous mountains and volcanoes in the world can be reached on day trips from their beach resorts.
* Take the cable car or the strenuous walking trail to the top of Mount Teide in Tenerife. At 3718 metres above sea level, it is the third largest volcano in the world.
* Mount Sinai – site of the biblical burning bush – can be visited on a day trip from the Egyptian resorts of Sharm el Sheikh, Dahab and Taba. Wrap up warm if you decide to stay overnight to watch the sunrise from the summit, 2285 metres up.
* Or choose Italy where Mount Vesuvius overshadows the Bay of Naples. You can walk up to its summit on a day trip from Sorrento, for example. Mightier still is Mount Etna in eastern Sicily, which is a day trip from resorts such as Cefalu and Taormina.
Put sunbathing on hold for a few hours to feel the pull of a power kite or breathe through an aqualung for the first time.
* Why not make 2011 the year that you try to Kite Surf? It is the fastest growing water sport around, so find a beach resort with offshore winds and you’re sure to find a beginners’ class. Try the Canary Islands, Dahab in Egypt or the Costa de La Luz in Spain, for example.
* A Try Dive is the first step in scuba diving; perfect if you feel nervous or non-committal about booking the full course. These short submersions introduce you to the sights and sensations of breathing underwater and take place in a swimming pool or shallow water close to the shoreline. Resorts in Egypt, the Caribbean, Thailand and Malta, for example, will have dive schools offering affordable Try Dives.
Floating high above the landscape, in a wicker basket beneath a hot-air balloon, tops many a wish list. It’s also one of the most memorable experiences you can have on holiday.
* If you’re travelling to Turkey in 2011, a balloon flight is one resolution you can keep. Tour companies and hotels run daily balloon flights over the rock formations and canyons of the Cappadocia region.
* Sunrise balloon flights also lift off from Luxor’s west bank and soar above the ancient Valley of the Kings and the Queens, which is one of Egypt’s most majestic sights.
What are you travel-related resolutions? I’d love to hear all about them.
Posted : Wednesday, December 22nd, 2010 at 12:58
Kelly Pipes is a writer and editor who has worked in travel and travel publishing for the last ten years, and has enjoyed every single minute of it. Alongside other projects she shares off-beat travel news and authentic travel experiences on her own blog, Sandwagon.