Fri, January 8th, 2010 - By

Being prepared for holiday hiccups

No-one wants to think about anything going wrong while on holiday, however, being prepared can save you a whole lot of stress and hassle.

Simply follow the list below and once done, it will help you to deal with most situations and get you back into holiday mode as quickly as possible.

Where possible keep valuable items and documents in a safe deposit box

Where possible keep valuable items and documents in a safe deposit box

  • Make sure you purchase travel insurance before your trip and ensure you’re covered for any extreme or water sports you are likely to undertake.
  • If travelling within the EU, the European Health Insurance Card EHIC (formerly the E111) is available for any individual normally resident in the UK and can be used to cover any necessary medical treatment due to either an accident or illness whilst on holiday. Please note – the EHIC card is NOT an alternative to travel insurance and does not cover any private medical healthcare or the cost of things such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, repatriation to the UK or lost or stolen property and each passport holder (adult, child or infant)  must have their own EHIC card. To apply for a card visit:
  • Take photocopies of all your documentation, including passports, flight tickets, accommodation vouchers etc. Leave one set with a relative/friend and take the other set with you, but keep these separate from the originals.
  • Make a list of any information you may need in case of an emergency, such as insurance help lines, address and telephone number of the British consulate where you’re staying, and emergency numbers for lost or stolen cards. Having recently had to cancel my cards while on holiday, it can be very difficult trying to find a non 0800 or 0845 emergency number for your bank. Make sure you have a number that will work from abroad!
Consider taking traveller's cheques, these are easily replaced if lost or stolen

Consider taking traveller's cheques, these are easily replaced if lost or stolen

  • Before you travel familiarise yourself with local laws and customs, what might be perfectly appropriate behaviour or dress in one country might not be acceptable somewhere else. The British Foreign Office offers travel advice ‘Know Before You Go’ and is an ongoing travel safety campaign, it helps to be better prepared for your overseas trips with a view to avoiding common travelling traumas, risks and dangers. Visit:
  • Another great idea to come from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) is their LOCATE service, before you travel register online with your contact details and travel plans, then the local British embassy will know you’re coming and crisis staff can provide better assistance in an emergency. Don’t forget to update the information each time you travel.
  • Be money-wise, consider taking a percentage of your cash in traveller’s cheques, if these get lost or stolen all you have to do is contact the issuer to get them cancelled and a new set issued. Don’t forget to keep your travellers cheque receipt separate from your cheques. Pre-paid debit cards are also now widely available and very useful for holidays, as you can often top them up with your chosen currency.
  • Finally, kick back, relax and enjoy.

Posted : Friday, January 8th, 2010 at 09:24
Category : How To...
Subscribe : RSS 2.0

Leave a Reply